Jaw Surgery Before and After

I had corrective jaw surgery on my upper and lower jaws on the 10th of August 2010 to correct my underbite (Class III malloclusion).

This article is a brief summary of my jaw condition and a week by week comparison with my pre-jaw surgery photos to see the progress I have made on a weekly basis. Detailed daily posts of the first 5 weeks can be found in the blog and the details will not be repeated here.

I shall use layman terms to describe my double jaw surgery because I don’t like to use the medical terms of jaw surgery, which make no sense to people who are not familiar with jaw surgery.

A Brief History of My Jaws

My jaw condition was inherited from my Dad’s family. I know of at least 8 other people´┐Ż in the family who have similar problems like me.

As I was growing up, my lower jaw started to grow too much, resulting in a protruding lower jaw. My upper jaw did the opposite and didn’t grow as much as it should have – It was too low and too far back.

The incorrect position of my lower jaw caused the following defects:

1. Underbite – lower jaw was in front of the upper jaw, which caused the lower teeth to be in front of the upper teeth, which is an abnormal position.
  2. Inability to close my mouth easily – I used to leave my lower jaw hanging by leaving my mouth a bit open. I did it because it felt more comfortable to do so and it looks a bit silly.
  3. Misplaced midline – The centre of my uppper and lower teeth do not meet. My lower teeth’s midline was off to the right.
  4. Titled lower jaw – The angle of my lower jaw was off to the right. I did some tests with my dentist to determine the slant of my bite and it was not straight when I bit down on a piece of metal.

The incorrect position of my upper jaw caused the following defects:

1. Gummy smile – A lot of my upper gum used to be revealed because my upper jaw was too low.
  2. Flat/sunken cheeks – My cheeks used to look very flat and sunken because my upper jaw was too far back.

I believe my jaws could have been prevented if I received orthodontic treatment when I was 8 – 12 years old. Since I can’t turn back time, I can only imagine what could have been if my jaws were never allowed to grow out of alignment.

Jaw Surgery Before and After – Week 1

Jaw Surgery Before and After - Week 7 - Left View

Jaw Surgery Before and After - Week 7 - Right View

Jaw Surgery Before and After – Week 8

Jaw Surgery Before and After - Week 8 - Front View

Jaw Surgery Before and After - Week 8 - Left View

Jaw Surgery Before and After - Week 8 - Right View

124 Comments On “Jaw Surgery Before and After”

On 10th November 2010 10:59 AM, april said:

I’m getting double surgery tooo!

my bottom moved backwards and upper moved forward.

my ortho says I will be ready by? spring break (which is 2 weeks) but I was wondering if the swelling would be too bad to go back to school (im in hs). so I would get the surgery, recover for 2 weeks, then go back to school.

basically I? was wondering if i should do this over the summer instead?

also, I was wondering if you noticed if your nose got bigger/wider b/c I heard this would happen:/

On 10th November 2010 11:12 AM, Vince said:

I took at least 1 month to recover to a reasonable level. The swelling during the first 2 weeks was quite bad and people are going to stare at you like you are a freak. I don’t think 2 weeks is enough for recovery. Give it at least 1 month before going back to school.

On 10th November 2010 11:40 AM, Vince said:

Yes, I have noticed that my nose has gotten wider and it seem to be “flipping outwards” a bit more than before. What that means is you can see my nostrils more than before.

I am not happy about it but I am willing to live with this rather than live with my previous jaw positions.

On 14th November 2010 6:16 AM, Lisa said:

Thank you so much for having this blog. I was considering the surgery. I am over 30 years old and was concerned about numbness and healing. I am also a singer. My doctor spoke of tongue surgery because my tongue is bigger than the teeth space I have. Yet, he wanted to remove teeth to make the space even smaller. Although this surgery has been approved by insurance at 100%, I am very apprehensive. I am afraid of loosing my ability to sing due to tongue limitations, and range of motion of my jaw. Like you, my lower jaw is in front of my upper. However, it is aligned. I wore braces years ago and finally love the face I have. I am afraid of changing it. So much is unknown. Did you have the saggital split surgery? I am thinking I should just leave well enough alone, since I like my face now. what are your thoughts?

On 15th November 2010 12:19 AM, Vince said:

I never had any “saggital split surgery” and I have no clue what that is.

I am not sure if tongue surgery would affect your singing voice but I do know that my voice was temporarily affected by my corrective jaw surgery.

It was only affected during the 1st 6 weeks or so because I was wired shut. After the wires came off, I needed some time to get used to moving my jaws. I think it took me about 2 months to get my voice back to normal.

I enjoying singing at home when I listen to my favourite music. It took me about 3 months to be able to open my mouth really wide. I could shout or sing very well when I could not open my mouth very wide.

If you can take a 3 month break from singing, I guess this surgery would be great for you. If you like your face as it is now, you will like the new face even more.

On 15th November 2010 7:48 AM, Lisa said:

Thank you.

The sagital split surgery is when they cut your lower jaw from in the back of your math and shift it back and then they might do something where they cut the chin bone to give a chin definition.

Do you have any facial numbness? My doc said that is possible for the surgery he is proposing.

On 15th November 2010 10:04 AM, Vince said:

I still have some numbness and swelling but most of it has healed.

The problem for me right now are the jaw bone bumps and the right side of my face, which is larger than the left side due to the swelling. There is probably some swelling below my nose and my nose has been stretched wider because of that.

On 4th January 2011 4:51 AM, Izzy said:

This blog has really helped reassure myself that I should definitely get the surgery done so thank you! I’m 16 and i’m getting my bottom braces tomorrow which im dreading.. I get my tops ones in about 3 months. I have to have my braces for about 16 months making me 18 when I get my jaw done. I have ALL of the defects you have mentioned and I have literally SO many questions to ask, how long did you have your teeth wired shut for after surgery? how long do you have your braces on after the surgery? is it hard to keep your teeth shut inside your mouth now as you were so used to keeping your bottom jaw hanging a little? and this is probably a really stupid question but was it really painful ? Sorry for all these questions it’s just I don’t know anyone who has ever had this operation before !

On 4th January 2011 10:26 AM, Vince said:

I had my teeth wired for 5 weeks + after my jaw surgery.

I am still wearing my braces and it has been almost 5 months after my jaw surgery.

My teeth are not as properly aligned as I wish because my orthodontist is still making tweaks to make sure they fit with my new jaw positions.

On 11th January 2011 8:50 PM, Martin said:

Hi, I am really considering thsi surgery b/c of my jaw issues too. But I was just wondering, did it hurt a lot the month after? How bearable was the pain?

On 12th January 2011 5:16 PM, Vince said:

The discomfort after 1 month from the jaw surgery was quite bearable. The first few days after the surgery was the worst.

On 13th January 2011 3:29 AM, Tonie said:

Hi. I have a surgery date for 28 jan. I had a malformation to the lower lip which after 7 op lept the lip too short. I had braces fitted last aug and now will have to do my jaw and rotate my chin so that i can close my mouth again. Been told that i need 5 to 6 wks off wk to heal completely. Were you fitted with a permanent titanium jaw plate? Does the numbness in your lips cause you to dribble and apart from the problem with your nose, what was the worst part of the op and how did you deal with the pain. thanks.

On 15th January 2011 4:10 PM, Vince said:

I have some metal plates on my upper jaw but none on my lower jaw.

I am not sure how to tell you to deal with the pain. For me, I just got on with life. The first few weeks were tough but it slowly improved after a month or so.

On 16th January 2011 6:48 AM, Tonie said:

Thanks a lot. Will just program my mind about the whole thing and get on with it. Hope you are out of the woods now.

On 30th January 2011 8:27 PM, Michael said:

Hi Vince. What a wonderful site you have! Amazing. I had my maxillio facial surgery (double jaw) 7 days ago here in Sydney, Australia. How long ago has it been for you now? The difference between us is that my jaw were only connected to eachother with elastics not sealed closed with wire like yours. I will only be able to swall whole tablets and capsules.

The surgery went very well but I want to share the positives and the negatives post surgery with you so that you may kindly share with me;

Negatives; Anger (I have occassionally been very angery with family post surgery and grumpyness (I think because I cannot/miss eating solids) and I unable to properley clean my teeth yet.

Positives; Spritually and Mentally something very significant occurred. I feel like I am in more control of my mind. I have significantly less negative thoughts in life. All this in only the first few days!

Did your lips keep drying out? I have to apply vaseline cream every 15-30 minutes onto my lips (not exxagerating) because my mouth is more open now so the inside of my lips are drying out now.

On 31st January 2011 2:56 PM, Vince said:

I has been 5 months plus since my double jaw surgery in August 2010. I am feeling quite okay now but the swelling is not 100% healed and I still have some minor jaw bone bumps on both sides.

Yes, my lips got dry and peeled very often after my double jaw surgery. It took me over a month to get over this problem.

On 2nd February 2011 12:45 PM, Nata said:

Hello Vince. I haven’t started ortho treatment yet. I have to decide if I’m gonna have surgery or not before treatment starts. I have a couple of problems and one is similar to what you had. My upper jaw is a little behind my lower jaw. I was wondering if you know how the surgery was done. Did they totally cut upper jaw of the bone and than re-attached it with metal plates? Or just part of the jaw was cut? And as I understand your nose went up a little after surgery. So now it’s been 6 moths after surgery did your nose returned to the “presurgical position”? And since your teeth were wired shut, how did you it? Only liquids with a straw? I will really appreciate if you answer me. And thank you very much for all the pictures and your explanations. I think the only missing photo now is smiling after surgery. Again thank you!!!

On 2nd February 2011 1:04 PM, Nata said:

And I forgot to ask how long did you wear braces before the surgery? By the way, you look really good on the last front picture. I’m soooo afraid that I might look worse than before so I can’t decide…

On 3rd February 2011 8:11 PM, Vince said:

I am not 100% sure what they did to my upper jaw. I only know it was moved up and forward. Part of the upper jaw was removed.

My nose became wider. I don’t think it went up. My nose is still not back to the pre-surgery state and probably never will.

I did could not drink with a straw after my jaw surgery because I found it difficult to suck. I found eating with syringe much easier.

On 3rd February 2011 8:13 PM, Vince said:

I had braces for about 1 year 3 months before my jaw surgery due to some unexpected delays from my first orthodontist and some other personal situations.

On 12th February 2011 3:27 PM, Francis said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have been doing online research about this surgery for so long because I have almost the same jaw problem as you did. Yours is the first site that provided first-hand experience about the topic. I wore braces before but they only aligned my teeth. I also wore a splint , which helped me “align” my jaws. The information/experienced you have shared are really wonderful for people who have the same problem and who are considering this kind of surgery. Hope you’re recovering well. Thanks again.

On 10th March 2011 4:42 PM, hannah said:

Hey :) . I have a question for you. but firstly tx for sharing ur experience. This has been very helpful to me. I was seriously considering jaw surgery for the very same reasons you have, but have lack of support from my family. But I’m gonna do it anyways and I’m saving up for the big day soon. At first I was considering going to Korea for the surgery, due to the high expenses quoted to me in Singapore. I was quoted $60,000 in all from a private surgeon. can you believe that? I don’t know if it’s because I’m a foreigner. Well my main concern is the use of screws in the surgery actually. The clinic I enquired in Korea uses dissolvable screws, while the one in Singapore uses titanium screws. I’m really concerned of the side effects of the use of a metal screw. Can I know whether you use metal screws and whether you have any problems with it or intentions to take them out? Thank you very much!

On 14th March 2011 11:39 AM, TNGirl said:

I had a double jaw surgery as well. Im overall ok with it since my bite is better but not exactly happy with what it did to the appearance of my face. It’s been 5 years and I still look swollen. The lines that come down from the nose and outline your mouth are not meeting up with the lower lines beside my mouth. One side of my face is bigger than the other like sticks out and my chin looks weird where the pushed it out. The surgery was where they moved my upper jaw forward, my lower jaw back and my chin out. Seems like more should have been done or not moved my upper jaw at all. Now I have a lot of sagging in my jowls from this and it’s all just weird looking. Please tell me if you’ve encountered any of this, Thanks!

On 14th March 2011 7:06 PM, Vince said:

My right side has always been slightly bigger than the left. I have learnt to live with it. Maybe I can improve it by doing some facial exercises.

It has been over 6 months since my double jaw surgery but I feel like there is still some swelling left on my face.

I don’t have the sagging jowl side effect but my nose has been widened. However, I purchased this nose clip by the name of Nose Huggies to make my nose narrower and it seems to be working. My nose is less wide and it looks like how it used to look before my double jaw surgery.

On 14th March 2011 7:07 PM, Vince said:

Where are you from?

I think it would be better to do it in your home country if your government can subsidise the cost of the jaw surgery. Insurance could help too.

On 14th March 2011 8:26 PM, Michael said:

Hey Hannah

I did it in Sydney (where I live). And Im very happy and amazed at the talents of my surgeon. I have noticed there are at least 2-3 different styles of surgery depending on were the maxilliofacial surgeon attended his university. Another well respected surgeon here in Sydney said he needed to operate on me at two different times months apart for each jaw. I couldnt deal with that. SO I went with another surgeon who did both my jaws and chin (genioplasty) all in one surgery. This is my 7th week. All feels and looks great except like vince, there is still swelling. I was told it will take 6-9 months for my face to fully heal from swelling and to look natural again.

On 23rd March 2011 7:40 PM, winnie said:

helo vince! i was wondering, what was the cost of your surgery and braces in total..? and i read somewhere in your blog that you came to malaysia for consultation? may i know which hospital is that? (im from malaysia).

On 28th March 2011 1:52 PM, Vince said:

That is great! Yes, it does take over 6 months to look and feel normal again.

On 28th March 2011 1:54 PM, Vince said:

I went to a private clinic in KL and not a hospital. I did not get any treatment from that orthodontist.

On 28th March 2011 10:11 PM, TNGirl said:

I live in the US. I’m probably stuck like this since i’ve heard that if you get a reversal, you will end up with a “third” face I probably would like as well.. I just think my skin couldn’t handle all that swelling and maybe i’m allergic to the pins and plates in my face! I’m allergic to everything.

On 28th March 2011 11:19 PM, Vince said:

A reversal? Do you mean a relapse of your jaw condition?

On 30th March 2011 9:21 PM, Tonie said:

I had my jaw surgery done 8 wks ago here in UK. It was not as bad as i thought it woild be, but because of some complications I was taken to theatre twice in a week. During the first operation blood had drained down into my neck and clotted, leaving the area hard and painful. After an ultra sound a few days after, the problem was discovered. It is a medical term called odema. I was taken back to theatre for them to make an incision under my chin where the clotted blood was drained, after which a tube was left in for a few days.

After several courses of antibiotic, the wound is still not healed properly as it had somehow become infected. I will be seeing my consultant on monday to decide whats the next step to get this wound closed properly. My face is still tender but most of the swelling has subsided. Saw my orthodontics twice but nothing was done to my braces as she reckon it would have been too painful. I would say the jaw surgery itself was ok, its just the complications afterwards and the incision under my chin, has caused me great discomfort as its refusing to heal after 8 weeks.

On 18th May 2011 1:32 PM, Megan Sch said:

I had an underbite (lower jaw in front) and I finally got it fixed 5 months ago. I had originally thought that they would move both of my jaws to fix it but my surgeon decided to only move the top one forward and down because moving both jaws is a much bigger surgery.
The upside of this was that while it certainly was uncomfortable for the first couple post-surgery weeks, I didn’t have to have my jaws wired or rubber-banded shut, and i didn’t have any chin numbness following the surgery.
A major downside of this choice is that I’m not satisfied with my face. Because they had to get my top jaw over my already overgrown lower jaw, it seems like my top teeth are too far forward, and my nose got pushed up (If they tell you it will go back down, THEY’RE LYING). I’ve also been told that I now look like a monkey and a horse. I’m still hoping that it will improve as time goes on, because my surgeon said it would take a year for everything to heal completely, but I’m bracing myself to accept that this is my permanent face.
I don’t mean to discourage anyone from getting this surgery, because if you have a jaw malformation or other problems it’s necessary and totally worth it comfort-wise. My only point is to BE PICKY WHEN TALKING TO YOUR SURGEON. Make sure that all the decisions that he’s making are based on what will look best, not what is easiest.

And now for my question: does anyone know any trick to make your nose go down??? It’s driving me crazy!

On 18th May 2011 11:29 PM, Vince said:

Hi Megan,

My upper jaw was “under-developed”. What that means is it grew too little and it was supposed to be more forward. My surgeon moved it up and forward during my double jaw surgery. My lower jaw was “over-developed”. It grew too much and as a result, it was protruding over the upper jaw.

I was offered the option of only operating on my lower jaw. It was the cheaper and easier option but my surgeon told me for best results, the upper jaw would also need to be operated on.

I thought about it for a while and read stories on the internet. I decided that if I was going to get this surgery, I might as well go for the one that would give me the best results. I did not want to regret operating on a single jaw and be unsatisfied with the results. I was willing to go hardcore and deal with the pain of recovering from a double jaw surgery!

Now, to fix your nose, get the Nose Huggie. http://www.nosehuggies.com

It is cheap and effective if you wear it for about 15 minutes daily for a month. It made my nose less wide and my nose looks the way it did before my double jaw surgery.

On 19th May 2011 1:09 PM, Michael said:

Hi again Vince. I must ask, do the nose huggies really work for you? I did my surgery in January and yes the nose is now slightly wider. Also, How is your smile post surgery? Mine is showing way too much upper gum. Am now thinking about plastic surgery to fix my smilie. Thanks mate.

On 20th May 2011 12:42 AM, Vince said:

Yes, the Nose Huggie clip worked for me.

I suggest you take photos to compare and you will see a difference.

It only costs about $15 or so. There isn’t much to lose.

On 14th June 2011 12:33 AM, Catherine said:

Hi, I am Catherine from the UK. I just want to thank you for this site and the information you have all provided me with as I thought I was the only one having all this bad luck! I initially had braces on for the first two years and then went for what I believed to be the top and bottom jaw surgery in 2009, however when in theatre only needed the upper jaw breaking and moving forward. When I came out of surgery I woke up to an unstoppable nose bleed which in the end I had to have a balloon in for 24 hours to stop the bleeding ( which at the time and looking back was worse than the whole surgery itself ). I was wired up for a few weeks and then returned to the hospital to get my wires and braces off at the same time – shortly after off. I had quiet a slender face before my op and now 2years on still have ‘chubby cheeks’ and a turn up nose. I also have a double chin from where I thought the swelling would have gone by now but have had to come to the circumstances that it’s staying put. I had three months off work for the op and would not advise any less time than this! The mentality of it all is frightening, people who have known you for years did not recognize me. After my op I realised I could not breathe, smell as I use to through my nose and was referred to ENT Surgeon. The surgeon confirmed my cartilage had collpsed and I am going in for a nose job next week to help me breathe again and change shape to how it was before op. I am just wondering if anyone has had this done and can advise on the op? Thank you.

Looking at your pictures brings a lot of memory’s back

On 14th June 2011 12:40 AM, Catherine said:

Also, if you are thinking of having the surgery done (maxiofacial) I would have it done again however from my experience i do not think I was advised enough of after the surgery and you have to be a strong person to have the mentality to get through it. I am only 20 now (had the op when I was 18) and still having side affects.

On 14th June 2011 12:02 PM, Vince said:

I think your surgeon did not do a good job and that is unfortunate.

I am not sure why your wires and braces came off so quickly. I am still wearing my braces 10 months after my double jaw surgery in Aug 2010. I hope to get them off in the next few months.

On 3rd July 2011 8:25 PM, Jack said:

Hi Vince,

I’m unfortunately work within an office environment that requires me to be on the phone for most of the day. My consultant has written a letter to my boss explaining that i’ll require about 4 weeks off of work, though do you think I would find it difficult getting back to talking a lot after this period?

On 5th July 2011 9:12 AM, Vince said:

Yes, I believe it would be hard to talk a lot after 4 weeks.

On 20th July 2011 1:06 PM, Rachel said:

Hi Vince,

I love your website. I love your pictures, and by the way you look very handsome haha :)

How old were you when you had the surgery? I am 20 and I’m scared that I will heal slower :( You look like you healed/swelling went down really fast, I hope I am like you!

Also, how many weeks roughly did it take to feel comfortable talking again? I’m scared I won’t fit into university because I won’t be able to talk confidently in time… not to mention possibly having swelling cheeks… my cheeks are already very chubby :(

thanks x

On 21st July 2011 8:17 AM, adrian said:

Hi in hope you are still active on this website Michael (from Sydney),

I’m looking at commencing my orthodontic treatment soon, which includes upper jaw surgery,and I just came up to Sydney from Melbourne.
I was wondering if you could shed some light on how you selected the best orthodontist and maxofacial surgeon as I don’t really know anyone up here unlike the recommendations I had in Melbourne.
And also if you could recommend some reputable ones, that are close to the city or Eastern suburbs of Sydney .

Thanks alot!

On 21st July 2011 10:36 PM, Vince said:

I just consulted as many orthodontists and maxillofacial surgeons as I could.

For the surgeons, it was more of a feeling I get from them after listening to their proposals.

For the orthodontists, I would like to hear how long I need to have braces before surgery. Some orthodontists can tell what they want to see from your teeth before surgery and they can tell you how long it should take to get there. Some can’t tell you much and they may cause you to have more teeth problems.

On 21st July 2011 10:38 PM, Vince said:

I had it done when I was 28.

Talking is the easy part. I could speak properly as soon as the wires came off.

The swelling took a long time to heal. Sometimes I feel my face is still swollen after almost a year.

On 22nd July 2011 8:16 AM, Michael said:

Hi Adrian

I would be happy to provide you with names and opinions of their work but prefer to do it privately via email. Email me on mich...@iclean.com.au

On 22nd July 2011 4:51 PM, Mary said:

Hi Michael, I hope you’re still reading this blog as I have a question for you – I live in Sydney too and was told by my orthodontist to consider jaw surgery, and it’s a scary thought. Which surgeons did you see, and who did you end up going with? I’m just struggling to figure out who to see to get a range of opinions, and don’t want to see only the person my orthodonist recommended. Any info at all would be much appreciated!

On 25th July 2011 1:59 PM, Michael said:

Hi Mary

I would be happy to provide you with names and opinions of their work but prefer to do it privately via email because I want to be brutally honest. Email me on mich...@iclean.com.au

On 30th July 2011 6:05 AM, Donna said:

Hi, I hadn’t surgery 3 weeks ago and now starting to feel like I can face the world again, still a bit swollen but the chin numbness is worse for me! Can’t feel a thing…not pretty when trying to eat yet another liquidised meal!!! How long before you gained feeling? I’ve read a few blogs and anything from 3 months to a year are some answers!! I can’t imagine this for that long! Surely some feeling must come back! My right side had a ‘bad’ break and severed the nerves so I’ve been told feeling may never come back to that side!!

On 31st July 2011 11:11 PM, Vince said:

Give it time and everything will be okay again.

On 7th August 2011 12:05 PM, Rhea Fellows said:

Hey,

I had my surgery on the 28th of July (only a few days ago) and everything went well. I had both jaws moved (top one forward and the bottom one backwards) I was super swollen, but the swelling has ever so gradually been reducing itself. I still have no idea what my face will look like, but I already know that its the best thing I have done for myself.

I was just wondering when you could start to eat food that required chewing? My surgeon said I should start soft foods now (scrambled eggs ect) and I tried pancakes this morning, but my jaw was soo sore after this….Was it the same for you?

On 8th August 2011 11:31 PM, Pam said:

Vince – to echo the thought of everyone else – thanks for this blog and for sharing your experience. Our ortho has suggested surgery to fix our daughter’s underbite and recommended an oral surgeon to move the lower jaw back. We also consulted a maxio facial surgeon who suggested only moving the upper jaw forward. The latter seems much less invasive but our ortho would much rather us go the oral surgeon route and move her lower jaw back. Not sure which way to go – does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this. Thanks

On 8th August 2011 11:40 PM, Vince said:

Hi Rhea,

I could not chew on anything for over 5 weeks because my upper and lower teeth were tied together with wires.

Judging from your description, your surgeon could have used rubber bands to secure your upper and lower teeth together. There was absolutely no way I could eat something like pancakes for the first 5 weeks after my double jaw surgery. I could not even see my tongue, let alone chew on anything.

Sincerely,

Vince

On 8th August 2011 11:45 PM, Vince said:

Hi Pam,

Although I am not a surgeon, I would recommend the surgery that would give your daughter the best results.

If the underbite was caused by a protruding lower jaw, then it makes sense that it has to be moved backwards to correct the underbite.

For my jaw surgery, my upper jaw was moved forward while my lower jaw was moved backwards. I could have opted for just the lower jaw surgery but my surgeon told me for best results, a double jaw surgery would be ideal.

You might want to consult more oral/maxillofacial surgeons to see what they say about your daughter’s case.

If you’re going to do it once, you might as well do it right once. Some people have multiple surgeries because the first one did not give them the results they were looking for.

Sincerely,

Vince

On 10th August 2011 8:23 AM, Rach said:

To Pam
Upper jaw surgery to correct an underbite might make her upper teeth look horse like, buck teeth sticking forward causing her lips to show more gum or teeth relaxed or smiling. Also seems like it will give her a monkey shapes mouth or jaw.

I would personally follow the orthodontist and oral surgeon route of lower jaw, because they are there to correct the BITE first and foremost.

A good bite will make a good smile and good results that actually work …

On 10th August 2011 12:11 PM, Michael said:

To Pam and everyone else considering this wonderful surgery…beware that it may give you a gummy smilie like it did for me. My oral surgeon is now speaking with cosmetic surgeon friends of his to ascertain how they will correct my awful smilie (at his cost I hope). I have a perfect bite now but a terrible smilie. I was recommended to go get botox in the interim.

On 31st August 2011 5:48 PM, liana said:

hi vince,
thanks for sharing ur details, i appreciate it and helpful!ran
im gonna have surgery same as u did…and also same reason.
im living in melbourne and im gonna have surgery in melbourne , too!

btw did u have any insurance for surgery or without it?
im looking for insurance which can cover my surgery however i cant find it well…

i already have M** insurance that i rang them today, they told me to find other insurance coz cant cover it.

thus , i have no clue which company cover this…if u had any insurance, can u let me know what it was??

thanks heaps!

On 31st August 2011 8:37 PM, Vince said:

Sorry Liana, I can’t help you with your insurance in Melbourne. You will have to consult as many insurance consultants as you need to find out more.

On 1st September 2011 12:11 AM, Michael said:

Hi Liana. I did my operation in Sydney and used Medibank private. Insurance companies in Australia will cover your hospital (theatre & Accomodation) costs but won’t cover the surgeon’s fee which as you know is very very expensive. All the best!

On 1st September 2011 5:55 AM, Rhea said:

If you don’t mind me butting in Liana, I’m a brisbanite and had the same operation through private Heath. I’m with Medibank and have been for years, through them and Medicare I got more than half of the cost back. The only thing is I have the highest hospital and extras cover, which usually has a waitin period before you can claim, so it’s best to have good coverage before you start orthodontic treatment. I hope this was helpful, just letting you know that most private health insurers will help you out if you have the top most cover and have waited the allotted amount of time. :)

On 19th October 2011 3:32 AM, sean said:

hi vince, im sean from KL too, i eager have a surgery operation to my underbite since make myself losing confident , but i totally no idea about this surgery ,
1.where should i ask from KL part?
2.what the price
3.does it cover by our insurance?
4.can we done in KL hospital instaed of private(cost cheaper?)
i really not worry pain or recovery period , just hope a have experience guide from you to me start my new life,hehe, really hope i can contact you with posting comment here, here my mail please share more experience with me.

On 19th October 2011 7:28 AM, Bobby said:

GREAT SITE! I had Orthognathic surgery for severe sleep apnea 11 Jul 2011 – going on 4 months now. Yes, the surgery worked – I sleep so well now :) I’ve been told there is little documenation on healing expectations for someone my age (58) – the older you are the slower you heal. I think I’ve done pretty well; I have feeling in all of my face with a little tingling on the chin and cheek bone area. The numbness is in my mouth (roof, gums, and teeth) – No one else has mentioned this so I’m not sure if it’s normal. I don’t have gum disease (the reason they moved upper and lower is because I had a perfect bite) and the dentist says my teeth are beautiful. My teeth and smile were my best features (hopefully I will get them back). I seem to be clamping down on my teeth which is causing pain in my joints which is making my teeth hurt. I also feel like my upper front teeth are loose. YES I’M FREAKING OUT! I have an appointment with the team on the 28th but I want to know if anyone else has experienced this. I’m having some corrective surgery done to take care of the sagging skin on my face and neck and the wide nose resulting from the surgery. I’m asian and I don’t like that I can see inside my nostrils :) I know it’s petty but it really bothers me. Oh, one more thing – does chewing food seem to make the swelling inside your cheek worse? I feel like I’m chewing on a piece of rubber – it’s not enjoyable so I’ve decided to cut meat out of my diet. Maybe I have to wait longer to start enjoying food again. Thanks for any advice ya’ll can give!

On 29th November 2011 3:01 PM, nick said:

hey dude, im wondering because im going to get my bottom jaw moved backwards and im wondering how long i would need to have my jaw clamped shut? im 16 years old and went though the whole plate and mask thing years ago but didnt do much. thanks for any help :)

On 1st December 2011 8:41 AM, Pena Matuu said:

my bottom jaw “mandible” broke so they wired both my upper n bottom jaw together for six weeks’ its only been hours since i got the wires taken off’ n got a quick question :will i ever be open my mouth to the way i “normaly” did? cuz right now i can only open my jaw the width of one fingure

On 1st December 2011 9:58 PM, Vince said:

Depends on your surgeons. I was wired shut for 5.5 weeks.

On 1st December 2011 9:59 PM, Vince said:

Eventually you will be able to open your mouth as wide as before. It may take a month or more.

On 8th December 2011 11:47 PM, Rachel said:

Thanks for putting up this site! I have double jaw surgery in 6 days! I have pre op today. I’m the opposite though and have an over bite. Also I’m getting plates and screws rather then wired shut. I am beyond nervous! Any tips on things I should get while I’m
Stuck at home? What there something that really helped? Thanks again!

On 9th December 2011 8:07 AM, David said:

Where did you do the surgey and how much does it cost?

On 12th December 2011 9:37 PM, Shannen said:

Hello. I’m awaiting my jaw surgery in the summer in 2012. Would you recommend for me to go through with it because i am afraid it will make me look worse? I think i am having the top jaw chissled off, and the bottom one broke and put back? Im scared of all the pain and the swelling afterwards, what should i do? :S

On 14th December 2011 12:33 AM, Jui said:

How are you doing now after one year? Are you feeling tired or aching in the jaw line or any other issue? Any downside? Can you please post about what happen after a year later?

On 15th December 2011 12:58 AM, Steph said:

Hi,

I am also considering surgery however my case is different from yours. I used to suck my thumb when i was younger and i now have a gap inbetween my top jaw (teeth at the front) and lower jaw. I’m unsure how much the surgery would change my face and this is what I worry about, I have noticed though the gap seems to be getting bigger and my voice has changed slightly.. this is making me paranoid. Would anyone know if braces would make this any better? would you recommend surgery?

Thanks,

On 15th December 2011 2:39 AM, Stephanie said:

hey Vince,

I am an American thinking of getting a double Jaw surgery to alleviate an underbite issue, TMJ issue, and an asymmetry issue. I do not think any of my conditions are severe enough to be covered by American Insurance companies, so I’ve been looking into other countries that may have great surgeons and also who will be cheaper than the United States.

I’ve been looking into mostly Korean Clinics so I was wondering if you had any recommendations for clinics in Korea, or if you had any recommendations for the best clinics or doctors in other countries.

Thank you very much for your blog. I think you do look quite good after your surgery.

Stephanie

On 29th December 2011 7:14 AM, Shelley said:

Hi, I know it’s been awhile since you have answered any comments on this but I have quite recently (less than a year) been given the choice to consider having a similar operation to you. I have mostly the same issues with my teeth as you.
I believe that I could cope with the pain and new diet but what I do find stopping me is how much my face and teeth would change. Also wether I would like the change or not. I was wondering if you had a similar issue and if so how did you over come it or put yourself at ease?
Thanks.

On 7th January 2012 9:08 AM, Brenda said:

I am wondering if you Vince or anyone else who had a bigger lower than upper jaw and an underbite experienced a lot of pain as a result. My son wore upper and lower braces for 4 years with removal around age 16. His bite and face were perfect. Now at 20, his entire lower jaw has grown, his teeth have completely shift so that they no longer touch and his midline too is off to one side. (so Vince it may not have made a difference to have orthodontia…) But what has really prompted him looking into jaw surgery is the amount of pain he feels because his teeth are not aligned. Although his lower jaw is prominent and cheeks somewhat flattened, I think it is moderate. I am not sure he should do the surgery just for cosmetic reasons but the pain and discomfort may warrant it. did any of you have pain BEFORE surgery?

thanks so much for you response.

On 7th January 2012 3:06 PM, mariah said:

Hi Vince! I want to ask how much does this surgery cost you?

On 10th January 2012 8:33 PM, Tamara said:

Hi Hun,
Thank you so much for this site :) .

Ive Been Looking absolutely everywhere for a site like this. I have my Surgery In the summer(having both my jaws moved and a reduction on the chin). It can feel really isolating when your the only one you know going through something like this! I know that it gunna hurt like hell when its done but im fine with that. Tbh though im quite worried about speech, i can only take about two weeks off work but I work in a call centre ( yeah i know , its mad). Could you still speak with jaws wired and how difficult was it during the healing proccess .

Thanks Muchly
Mara
x

On 11th January 2012 2:58 AM, Leandro said:

Hi Vincent. Do you have titanum plates in your jaw permanent? Does it hurts or annoy in any sense or they are imperceptibles? Thank you very much.-

On 15th January 2012 2:37 PM, Moinul said:

hi, i had my mandible saggital sptil surgery (lower jaw push back)on 27th dec..ihad under bite…it has been 3 wks post operation….nd ur link does help…as it ans some of my queries….i still hav my braces nd rubber band on….nd add with it liquid diet…which i think will continue for 1 or at max 2 more wks….nd yeah my face looks different rather better as everyone says so….so its worth it…but the numbness is still there in my lower lips nd chin..i wanna knw…. will d numbness completely go over time??

On 16th January 2012 12:05 PM, Nancy said:

I had jaw surgery in july 2010. Got my braces off July 2011. I had double jaw surgery, and a underbite. My underbite is starting to pretrude forward, is that normal. Did it happen to anyone else or you. Its sad that i went through the surgery and my underbite is slowly coming back.

On 18th January 2012 3:18 AM, Tinette said:

How long did you have your braces after surgery?
i also have a cross bite and underbite and so i’m thinking about getting surgery since i’ve stopped growing
was the process of the surgery worth it to you?

On 20th January 2012 7:44 AM, Vince said:

I did my jaw surgery at NUH (Singapore) and it cost me next to nothing because it was subsidised.

On 20th January 2012 7:45 AM, Vince said:

Only problem now is I still feel a bit of numbness below my nose when I laugh out loud.

On 20th January 2012 7:46 AM, Vince said:

You might want to consult a couple of orthodontists to see what they say. You may not need surgery but I think you need braces.

On 20th January 2012 7:47 AM, Vince said:

I have no idea about Korean clinics because I did my jaw surgery in Singapore.

On 20th January 2012 7:52 AM, Vince said:

I am still wearing my braces… It has been over a year after my double jaw surgery and I need to find an orthodontist in Sydney to continue my treatment.

I feel like my teeth took longer than expected to move into position. There is still some midline problems and open bite on the left.

On 20th January 2012 7:55 AM, Vince said:

I was probably not a good idea to fix the jaw issues when your son was a teenager because his bones were still growing. I had my jaw surgery done when I was 28 years old and my bones were 100% grown by then.

I did not have pain before surgery and I must admit I did it more for cosmetic reasons because I didn’t like the way it made me feel. Thankfully, it was classified as a functional surgery and I had it subsidised by the Singapore government.

On 20th January 2012 7:55 AM, Vince said:

Didn’t cost me anything because I had my jaw surgery subsidised in Singapore.

On 20th January 2012 7:56 AM, Vince said:

Hey Mara. It was hard to speak properly with the wires. Take at least 3 weeks off if possible. You will need more time to heal.

On 20th January 2012 7:57 AM, Vince said:

I removed my titanium plates and screws in 2010. You can sometimes feel them and I thought it would be better to remove them. The surgery to remove the titanium was less invasive than the first jaw surgery.

On 20th January 2012 7:58 AM, Vince said:

No guarantee that you won’t have numbness. I still have a bit of numbness below my nose.

On 20th January 2012 7:59 AM, Vince said:

Your jaw should be okay but your lower teeth my still move forward if you do not wear your retainers properly. You should see your orthodontist again.

On 20th January 2012 7:59 AM, Vince said:

I am still wearing my braces. I think the whole process was well worth it.

On 21st January 2012 3:04 AM, leandro said:

Thanks for your response man! It was just what I was wating to read. I thought that remove plates and screws was a non-habitual practice because I did’nt read any cases about that, and because my surgeon told me that I was the first patient who asked her about the possibility of remove them. It seems that’s not pretty natural to live for the rest of your life with so much metal pieces in the face.
Did you get removed ALL the metal pieces (upper and lower jaw)? How many months after the orthognathic surgery was the removal surgery? I will be very thankful if you could answer both questions. Good luck :)

On 23rd January 2012 10:32 PM, Georgina Sweeting said:

Hi there,

Thank-you for all these pictures they are reassuring me! I had the same done on December 14th 2011 and I’m still recovering. How long did it take you for your nose to lose swelling as my nose is so big and I hate it! Also I am failing to open my mouth so wide as to eat a banana. When will I be able to do that haha?

On 2nd February 2012 5:42 AM, TBar said:

Dear Vince, thank you so much for your wonderfully informative blog. I am 35 years old and have been undergoing orthodontic treatment here in the UK for nearly 2 years. I am due to see my surgeon in the next couple of months to agree a date for surgery. I have the same problem as you had with an underbite and my top jaw appears set back, it was also made worse by amateur orthodontics when I was a child which has left my teeth off centre, my chin has also (over the last few years) grown at an angle. My queries, which may seem a bit bizarre are, does the inside of your mouth feel any different after surgery? I read someone else’s blog and they said that they could feel the back of their throat – uvula – against their tongue? Has anyone else experienced this? Also is it difficult to adjust to your new face once the swelling has gone down? I am really worried about this! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions!

On 9th February 2012 3:45 PM, narayan said:

wow this blog is amazing! im about to under go corrective jaw surgery and orthodontic treatment but i still have so much doubt in my mind. while i know my lower jaw is slightly protruding, i cant close my mouth properly and i have no bite, i am quite happy with the way i look. I have a slender face which is so me! im so scared going into this and coming out looking awful! My family is so supportive but im scared that when i heal i will hate how i look. My question is to everyone considering this surgery (correcting protruding lower jaw), is it really worth changing your face?

On 29th February 2012 1:44 PM, Brandon said:

Hey man, i’m 17 and an immigrant from mexico.. idk how long it’ll be until I get my citizenship cause i’m 100% sure it’ll cost more for a person that isn’t from the u.s.. so i’m guessing everything will be 100% more expensive. i’ve been so sad now a days since i realized that I had one, like i lost all my confidence. I just want to know if you could give me any info or tips? PLEASE! ANYTHING! My sister has one too, she’s 13 I believe.. also from mexico. I’m so worried that I won’t get the surgery done until im like 27-30.. when life doesnt even matter as much as your younger years.. pleaaaase.. my email is flye...@yahoo.com .. it would be great if you emailed me as soon as possible.

On 2nd March 2012 6:54 AM, Christina Bak said:

I am a 57 year old woman. I just had maxillofacial on Jan. 18, 2012. I am doing really well, except for the dryness on my lips. I only have a little numbness in my face, though my chin seems fat. I also had new bone put in my upper and lower jaw, and with all that my biggest issue is the dryness on my lips. Does anyone know of anything to relieve it.

On 9th March 2012 7:26 PM, meme said:

i have the same problem im only 14 years old but my lower jaw is in front ,the doctor let me wore braces and then they decided that i should go for a doctor outside my country for the surgery the told me to wait until i get 17 to 18 years but then when i went for my last visit the said that its possible for me to do it now ,im thinking i should do it and get over this whole thing ,the good thing id my summer vacation is in 3 months ,i really need your help i have a lot of questions that needs to be answered i know that im not the only person who has this problem but my jaw is way more in front that yours:(+i wanna know what are the side effects .

On 12th March 2012 12:55 PM, stan said:

hi vince, is it really possible to reduce the cost for underbite surgery alot?( having finacial problem) whats the % of the subsides and what is mediasave and insurance able to cover? cause im afraid they might have change certain stuffs. is NUH good?.
ps. my underbite occured w/o any accident

On 28th March 2012 10:04 PM, Vince said:

The Singapore government subsidy + your own private hospital insurance will cover all of it.

On 28th March 2012 10:11 PM, Vince said:

Side effects? Pain, numbness and looking like a freak for a while before you get better.

On 28th March 2012 10:15 PM, Vince said:

I think it is worth it and that was why I did it.

On 28th March 2012 10:16 PM, Vince said:

No, I don’t have that problem but my teeth took a long time to fix after surgery. I am still wearing braces today.

On 24th May 2012 11:16 PM, Anthony said:

Hey Vince!
Very useful site you have here. Clearly tells me a lot of information.
I just had my jaw surgery both for my upper and lower jaw with titanium plates but the doctor told me that these plates will be screwed in my jaw permanently for the rest of my life! I’m in Week 1 now and it is sooooo painful and uncomfortable!

On 24th May 2012 11:24 PM, Anthony said:

How long does it take before you are able to chew on solid food again btw?

On 1st June 2012 12:46 PM, Vince said:

After the wires are removed. It depends on how long your doctors think you need them. I had my teeth wired together for 5 weeks and it took about over a month after that before I felt like I could eat normally. Bear in mind I had a double jaw surgery so it takes longer than a single jaw surgery to recover.

On 1st June 2012 12:46 PM, Vince said:

They can be removed after some time. I had a second surgery to remove them.

On 9th June 2012 3:52 AM, Riri said:

Wow, this is a very nice discussion. I lived in indonesia and i had the Angle malocclusion Class III and my jaw is yeah u know, a little like yours. As discussed above about the expenses, i really want to do the orthognatic surgery, as I’m a dentistry student, i alert of the abnormality and want to fix it, but there’s a lot of considerations. My lecturer whose an orthodontist suggest me to do the orthognatic surgery, but I’m afraid if there’s more negative instead of the positives effects. And looking at your case, the recovery, the treatment, isn’t stopping after the surgery and i’m afraid it will cost a lot more money. Please give me some advice and i will be very honored. Thanks a lot vince!

On 26th June 2012 5:50 AM, Ellie said:

Hi, I’m 15 and suffer from a class III jaw and am planning to undertake the surgery you have had. Although my surgeon hasn’t warned me about the permanent swelling, the increase in the size of the nose and the inflammation of the cheeks from reading some of these comments I am now contemplating on whether or not the surgery is such a good idea. Now you have recovered from the surgery is the appearance of your face back to normal? And if I am content with my appearance should I have the surgery as I am self conscious about my lower jaw and like you said having my mouth constantly open. Thank you.

On 3rd July 2012 12:03 PM, Vince said:

You are still young Ellie. You might want to wait a couple more years before deciding whether to undergo jaw surgery to fix your jaw issues.

On 3rd July 2012 7:08 PM, Anthony said:

Hi Ellie. I think it’s good if you consult your surgeon and obtain more information first before opting for this operation. I’m 19 this year and I’m 6 weeks plus post-op now. I must say that the first two to three weeks are pretty depressing indeed. My parents and I, myself can’t even recognize my face due to the swelling and so on. Do not fret though as the swelling are NOT permanent. It reduces in size pretty fast and then the rest of the swelling will heal slowly as days go on. As in the size of the nose, yes it’ll be different if you’re doing double jaw surgery like i did but it wont be much of a difference. it’ll just be broader a little bit (hardly noticeable bu others). I must say the first few weeks are sad but right now, even when i’m still recovering and haven’t completely able to judge on the final results yet, I must say that I am confident enough that I’ve made the right choice. Life pretty much are back to normal after 6-weeks post op just that you’ll have some difficulties chewing as you have re-learn how to chew back ( does my sentence makes any sense to you? haha )
However, as Vince said, you are still young. I’ve learned from a friend of mine that he did not need surgery for his as his underbite is not that serious and noticeable. How about yours? If you’re suffering from a serious underbite then I suggest you follow your surgeon advises and opt for the operation without wasting time. You’ll heal completely in no time since you’re still young and have high metabolism. A trick that I’ve learnt is that if you keep yourself active by exercising and working out a month before the operation, your body metabolism will increase which means that you’ll heal faster too after the operation. True story! =)

On 5th December 2012 10:30 PM, Jan said:

Hi have just seen this and am very interested to find out about surgery in the UK where I live – and likely costs – I have a protuding lower jaw which gives me a protuding chin line. Although my bite isn’t ideal it’s manageable – does anyone have a UK recommended surgeon please?

On 18th December 2012 4:36 PM, CL said:

Hi Vince, thanks for your blog. I am having quite similar case like yours. My orthodontist said I could either go for lower jaw only or double jaw. I am wondering which 1 should 1 choose. I knew double jaw would definitely give a better result, but as it involved double jaw thus the operation hour would be longer. So I have opt for only the lower jaw but I am worried I might regret after that. My orthodontist said if the upper jaw is to moved, it is only about 3mm, and it is not worth doing it. He said if i really want a double jaw, I need to extract 2 more teeth and carry on orthodontic for another 9 months. As it is too long time to wait, i had give up but now I reconsider it again. (I have been on ortho for 3 years and not yet time for surgery yet), any advice? Thanks a lot

Best regards,
CL

On 2nd January 2013 1:42 AM, jerrin said:

heeey, ihad got corrective jaw surgery on my lower jaw on nov. 20, 2012 and my swelling had went down on my left side but not my right completely. does that mean something is wrong also my lower back teeth a couple of them are sensitive?

On 12th January 2013 11:34 PM, Vince said:

I am not sure about your teeth but one side of my face was larger than the other side when I was recovering.

On 24th January 2013 3:50 AM, Kelly said:

I enjoy your blog as I too had both upper and lower jaw surgery in 2009 when I was 39 years old.

My recovery went well aside from the usual discomfort, although there was a little popping and clicking when I opened and closed my mouth, that is getting better with time.

The one issue I had and noticed about 1 year later after things settled and swelling was gone and the braces came off is the skin along my lower jaw is sagging due to the missing bone. I did not have this prior to the surgery. It is very disappointing to see that a new problem has arisen from trying to solve another.

The upper surgery was suggested in the beginning of my orthodontic care because of over-crowding and my bite not lining up. The lower was suggested only 1 month prior to the surgery, which I found absolutely alarming and seriously questioned due to the serious nature of such a surgery.

My orthodontist and oral surgeon assured me that it had to be done to complete my ortho. treatment and if I did not follow through it would have been a waste to get the braces and pay the money. The surgeon also suggested that I get a chin implant to make up for loss of projection due to shortening of lower jaw. I declined because I didn’t want to alter my chin or have an implant. He told me it would be ok, but that is not the case.

I saw my orthodontist a couple of weeks ago and he asked me how I felt about by bite,etc. and I told him I was very happy with my bite and comfort of having my jaw functioning well but I also told him about my new problem. He told me that the muscle length is the same while the bone has shortened,creating a relaxed lower jaw and neck area-not good for someone in their 40′s:(

I talked to a recontsruct surgeon and he told me the same thing and it would require lower face and neck lift in a timely manner or it would only get worse-and it costs $10,000 out of pocket!

I was wondering if anyone else who has gone through this surgery has had the same issue and if so did they have it corrected? Since insurance covered the surgery is there any chance it would cover this?

I wish my surgeon would have explained that this was going to be a problem and given me a plan to deal with it after recovery as I now understand it is a pretty normal result to follow such a surgery.

On 11th February 2013 10:42 PM, Victoria said:

Thanks so much for sharing this! I have a similar problem with my jaw, although my upper jaw is less developed thus I am very far from gummy. My lower jaw sticks out and protrudes to the right causing very significant asymmetry, even more than your before photos. I had private orthodontic treatment when I was 12 for 5 years and was meant to get surgery although my parents decided to move interstate which caused financial problems and delay. I am now with the Sydney public dental hospital and have had treatment with them for quite a while. I am now 21. I was meant to get my surgery over 2 years ago but they always delay due to two reasons: inexperienced student orthodontists (they cannot prepare my teeth properly) and because there is a waiting list as it is after all public. It is so frustrating that they have delayed it so many times, giving me false hope. I know it is free but all this delay is so frustrating that I have been contemplating if I should go privately. The surgeon from the public sector even said that they could even cancel the surgery on the day if some other more important emergency occurred like a cancer patient needed medical attention. Would you know the approx cost for this type of surgery just for the lower jaw in Australia through a private surgeon?
It feels nice knowing I’m not the only one with this burden!

On 13th February 2013 5:45 PM, Hafsa said:

Dear readers,
I’m gonna get my braces on when I’m 14 to the beginning of when I’m 16. During summer of when I’m 16 I am going to take surgery to fix my underbite but i have three question. My lips are slightly oversized and stick out and I’m wondering if the surgery will make them smaller? Also, currently my chin sticks out at least 4-6 inches and I’m wondering if the surgery will push back my chin? Lastly, I currently have a long oval face will the surgery make my facial structure less oval ly. Thank you and sorry for all question in only an eight grader.

On 22nd February 2013 1:29 PM, Vince said:

I don’t think the surgery affects the lips. Yes, the surgery will push back your chin a little bit. If you surgeon decides to operate on the upper jaw, your face may become slightly shorter after the surgery.

On 22nd February 2013 1:30 PM, Vince said:

Sorry, I do not know the rates in Australia for jaw surgeries.

On 22nd February 2013 1:32 PM, Vince said:

Sorry to hear about your complications. I did not go through that so I am not sure if anyone else had the same problem. I had some minor complications with the excess jaw bone fragments that my surgeon did not remove in the first surgery but the second surgery was relatively simple and painless.

On 11th March 2013 10:54 AM, DT said:

hi vince
great results!
which places did you go to in UK and what made you decide on the best one?
am 41 and wanting to have jaw sorted out – i’m regretting not looking into it much younger like you did

On 29th March 2013 11:20 AM, stephanie said:

I had surgery may 4, 2012. My face appears to still be swollen on the left side where my doc did the most work, is this common? If so how long will it take to go dwn?